Weight management during pregnancy:
When you are pregnant, you should take healthy food that satisfies your growing baby’s nutritional requirements. You should take a balanced diet, which provides you all the nutrients and vitamins that helps you in your weight management during pregnancy to have a healthy baby. Eating more will not satisfy your nutritional requirements, but eating the right food that provides you essential nutrients is important. Apart from your regular, increase some calorie intake for your growing baby is enough. Eating for two is not necessary when you are pregnant; it can cause you indigestion and heartburn. It’s better to know how many calories you want when you are pregnant.
Body Mass Index BMI:
Bmi is a measure of body size with the combination of a person’s height and weight. By using this, you can know whether the person is weighted healthy, overweight, or obese. It is a standard weight status that can help to keep track of weight across people.
Suppose your BMI is less than 18.5 means that you are under-weighted. When it is between 18.5 to 24.9, then you are weight healthy. When it is between 25 to 29.9, then you are over weighted. Bmi level more than 30 is considered obese.
If your BMI is under-weighted, it can cause malnutrition and lower birth weight in your baby during pregnancy.
When your BMI is overweight or obese, you are more exposed to heart issues and have more chances of miscarriage and premature birth.
Some Questions regarding weight management in pregnancy:
What is the average weight that a pregnant woman should gain?
An under-weighted women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. If the women’s weight is normal, they should gain between 25 to 30 pounds during pregnancy. An over-weighted women’s average weight gain during pregnancy should be between 15 to 25 pounds. If a woman is expecting twins, then the weight gain should be between 35 to 45 pounds.
What is the importance of weight management during pregnancy?
When you are pregnant, it’s important for you to manage your weight by taking healthy food and doing some exercise. Weight management during pregnancy can make your pregnancy healthy without any complications.
Can I lose weight during pregnancy?
It’s not recommended to lose weight when you are pregnant. It is not healthy for you and your growing baby. If you are over-weighted or extremely obese, then your doctor or health adviser will look after it.
How to gain a healthy weight during pregnancy?
You can gain a healthy weight by making some changes in your food intake. With some healthy food like vegetables and fruits, you can add some yogurt and dairy products into your diet. Increase your meal count; if you are taking three meals a day, then make them six meals of smaller quantities. Have some nuts, dried fruits that can help you to increase some good weight.
How many Extra calories should I take during pregnancy?
In the first trimester of your pregnancy, it is not important for you to increase weight. After that, you should take extra 200 healthy calories for the development of your baby. There is no need for eating for two overeating can cause you indigestion and heartburn issues.
Why should you gain some weight during pregnancy?
There are a lot of changes that happen within you when you are pregnant. You should gain some healthy weight for the following
- You should gain weight to have a healthy baby. A healthy baby will be around 3 to 4 kg. If you gain weight, then your baby also gains weight.
- Your placenta will weigh around 2 to 3 pounds.
- The amniotic fluid that is surrounding your baby will be around 2 to 3 pounds.
- For extra stored fat to prepare your body for labor will weigh around 5 to 8 pounds.
- Your breast tissues will weigh around 2 to 3 pounds.
- To make your uterus grow and to prepare it for labor, a weight of 2 to 3 pounds will be gained.
Tips for managing weight during pregnancy:
- Eat healthy foods like vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Know your BMI; if you are under-weighted, then eat a bit more.
- Exercise will help you to stay active and fit. Moderate exercises like swimming, walking, dancing, indoor cycling can ease your weight management during pregnancy but consult your doctor before starting.
- Don’t lose your weight intentionally without the recommendation of your doctor or health adviser.
- Avoid fast foods and canned or processed foods from your diet.
- Don’t overeat it can cause you some indigestion issues.
- Have more meals in a day with smaller quantity.
- Weight loss during pregnancy is not recommended by many doctors. If you are extremely obese and have any complications related to your weight, your doctor will recommend you for minimal weight loss.
- When you do not feel well, ask your partner or your family members to prepare a meal for you.
- If you have any difficulty in gaining weight after many efforts during pregnancy, then go for a nutritionist.
- It’s better to avoid alcohol during pregnancy because it will affect your growing baby’s weight.
- Avoid taking carbonated beverages that have a high level of sugar in them, which can affect your weight.